On October 11, the Open Space Authority hosted students from San Jose's Harker Academy at Coyote Valley Open Space Preserve. More than 200 high school freshman students and staff came out, making it the biggest volunteer Land Steward service day in Authority history. The Harker volunteers gathered to hear San Jose City Councilmember Chappie Jones speak about the importance of protecting the environment, and then worked on trail maintenance, removing non-native mustard plants along the Arrowhead Trail.
The 2016 Loma Fire, which burned over 2,000 acres of the Open Space Authority’s lands, caused state and local agencies to incur significant costs - including substantial costs to the Authority during and after the fire. But in terms of economic impacts, often overlooked are the fire-related costs to the health and sustainability of our communities that stem from loss of vital ecosystem service benefits.
The Open Space Authority cordially invites the community to the Coyote Valley Family Harvest Feast, a celebration of locally-grown food, local farms, and Silicon Valley’s agricultural roots. This free and family-friendly festival will take place on Saturday, September 10, from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., at the Coyote Valley Open Space Preserve, 550 Palm Avenue in Morgan Hill. Attendees are encouraged to register in advance at www.CoyoteValley2016.eventbrite.com
Hundreds gathered on June 27 to celebrate the opening of this stunning preserve and enjoy its 348-acres of heritage valley oaks, rolling hills, oak woodland, serpentine rock outcroppings and native grasslands. Mayor Liccardo and others spoke at the event followed by Valentin Lopez, President of the Amah Mutsun Land Trust, who offered a blessing of the land, after which the crowd gathered while dignitaries cut the ribbon for official opening of the Arrowhead Loop Trail.
- Burrowing Owls Need Open Space
- New Funding to Support Coyote Ridge Open Space Preserve Habitat Restoration and Preservation Projects
- Santa Clara Valley Agricultural Plan Adopted
- Thankful for Partnerships
- The Critical Pathway for Wildlife
- 25th Anniversary Year Kicks Off
- Wet Weather & Winter Hiking Tips
- Open Space Authority Approves Measure Q Environmental Education Grant Program
- Calaveras Fault Trail Status Update
- Active Stream and Wetland Restoration at Diablo Foothills Open Space Preserve