Finger painting scenes of nature – Plein Air Finger painting workshop on May 5, 2018 at Alviso Adobe Park, Milpitas.
As part of our mission, we encourage people to connect with nature, and better yet – to bring their families.
The Authority leads many community events in our local parks and open space preserves each month, many of which are kid-friendly and open to all ages. From nature walks, wildlife and stargazing demonstrations, arts and crafts, picnics, and more, providing opportunities for kids to get outside and explore nature are at the heart of the Authority’s summer programming.
“Nature has so many benefits – for kids, especially!” Says the Educational Programs Coordinator, Teri Rogoway. “Kids are inundated by so much tech today, they don’t have the vital connection to nature that I had when I was young.” Rogoway cites some of the many health benefits of nature and outdoor activity – calming and relaxation, helping relieve and build resilience to stress, improving sleep, improving focus, and reducing the signs of ADHD.
Further, getting families outside to spend time together helps strengthen family relationships, across generations. “You’re making memories that your kids will keep forever!”
The Authority's Community Engagement Team is planning a fun filled list of programs for the 2018 summer season. Here are just a few of the things on the calendar:
- June 5 (also June 12, 19 & 26): Tuesday Naturalist Treks, Coyote Ridge Open Space Preserve. Register here.
- June 8: Bashful Butterfly Walk, Rancho Canada del Oro Open Space Preserve. Register here.
- June 9 (also July & August): Starry Nights at Rancho Cañada del Oro Open Space Preserve. Register here.
- June 9 (also July & August): Binocular Stargazing, Coyote Valley Open Space Preserve. Register here.
- June 16: Bonkers for Birds, 25th Anniversary Event, Ulistac Natural Area, Santa Clara. Register here.
- July 7 (tentative): Fishing event, Diablo Foothills / Little Uvas Creek. More information to come.
- July 16-20 & August 13-17 (tentative): Open Space Explorers Junior Ranger Program. Nature and educational activities every morning, Monday through Friday. No commitment required – come on the days that interest you. More information to come.
- August 11: Perseids Meteor Shower Viewing.
Save the date for these and look for more information to come!
Are you on our email list? Sign up here and get all the events delivered right to your inbox.