Know any kids that are looking for opportunities to get outside? This summer, we’re excited to introduce Open Space Explorers, a new summer day program offering school-age kids and their families the chance to get outside and learn about nature.
This free, family-friendly program will be Monday through Thursday, July 30 - August 2, from 9 am to 12 noon. The first two days will be at Rancho Cañada del Oro Open Space Preserve and the second two days will be at Coyote Valley Open Space Preserve. The program is flexible - come to only one day or come to them all!
- DAY 1: People From the Past!
- Bring your family and come learn about the people who used to live in Santa Clara County. Learn what life was like before the Spanish arrived. Play the same types of games that the settler children did. Taste locally grown dried fruit to celebrate the delicious nickname that early farmers that gave this area, the Valley of Hearts Delight. This program will include an arts and craft activity, a short nature walk, and an interactive, engaging presentation about life in the days gone by. Bring a lunch and have a picnic afterwards. This program is designed for families and children of all ages!
- DAY 2: Everything Creeks!
Come explore a creek at Rancho Cañada del Oro Open Space Preserve with
enthusiastic and knowledgeable staff. Learn about the animals that live there and what makes this place so special. Wear shoes you can get wet in! This program will include an arts and craft activity, a gentle walk of about 2 miles, and a creek walk exploration. Children of all ages are welcome! Bring your sense of adventure and we'll show you the wonders of our creeks.
- DAY 3: Birds! Birds! Birds!
- Join the Open Space Authority and the Wildlife Education and Rehabilitation Center for a program all about Birds! Birds! Birds! Meet live birds of prey and go looking for other types of birds with our staff in the preserve. This activity is open to children of all ages.
- DAY 4: Walk Safe in Nature!
- Have you ever wondered how to walk in nature safely? Come learn outdoor safety and survival tips for kids and families. Empower yourself and your family by learning how best to prepare for a walk and what to do if you get lost. We will assemble a small kit together for you to take home with you. Come learn all kinds of useful tips! Bring water and a snack, a hat for sun, and close-toe shoes for our walk. We will walk 2 miles round trip at a very gentle pace.